Monday, August 18, 2008

Wow.



Talk about hitting the nail on the head. This shirt pretty much says all there is to say about postmodernism (and looks great doing it). Check out it out:
  • Drawing from past influences / retroism (specifically, swiss typography and high modernism with the simply set sans-serif text and the use of black/white/red)
  • Celebration / playfulness (exhibited in the red circle set for no other reason than to decorate)
  • Organic connections / relationships (connections of md, rt)
  • Destruction & deconstruction of language (using the dot of the i to signify a period)
Now that's some effective design. If I were a postmodernist, I would buy this shirt. And possibly buy a second shirt, and turn it into a flag to hang from my window. +David

(Shirt by postmachina, link via i love typography blog)

2 comments:

Artist said...

I love the playfulness that characterizes postmodernism, and its spirit of celebration. This shirt saddens me in its deconstruction of language because I know that it flows from our culture's perceived loss of truth. The playfulness of postmodernism is like that old game ring-around-the-rosy, which actually refers to the ringed red marks of the Black Plague on corpses: "Ashes, ashes, we all fall down." But though the perception of truth is falling down all over the place, I still love them for trying to play, even in the graveyard.

-- Christy

David said...

Which is where we get into what'll probably be one of the more interesting conversations on this blog, stemming from a difference of perspective between Christy and I on postmodernism. But I should refrain from a long post right now. We'll get there later. What are your thoughts about postmodernism? Good, bad, ugly?